Bellona Europa, alongside 13 NGOs, calls on the European Parliament to support Amendment 393 in the Effort Sharing Regulation (ESR) and requests that all EU countries set the date by which they will achieve climate neutrality.
Requiring EU countries to set their own whole of economy climate neutrality date is crucial for implementing ESR targets. It will ensure the right balance in the Fit for 55 package between robust national accountability and market-based solutions such as carbon pricing and will significantly ensure the continuation of binding national emission targets beyond 2030.
Voting in favour of Amendment 393 will:
- Ensure that the EU and its Member States actually achieve climate neutrality, as they committed to do under Article 2 of the European Climate Law.
- Cement EU countries’ commitment to the European Green Deal, and show that the EU can address jointly the energy, security and climate crises.
- Provide long-term economic certainty for investors in all EU countries, by enabling Member States to plan and identify, well ahead, the most cost-effective decarbonisation pathway for their economy.
- Facilitate Member States’ convergence over climate action and targets, while safeguarding national prerogatives to determine their own pace and pathways.
- Prevent a two-speed Europe in a context where 13 EU countries have already adopted – or are about to adopt – national whole economy climate neutrality targets but others have yet to do so.
Download the open letter: