On May 7th, Bellona joined a broad Coalition representing hundreds of European cities, regions, businesses, youth and faith groups and civil society organisations in a Climate Action Call.
In our letter to the EU decision makers, we urge them to respond to the climate emergency and profoundly alter the way we run our societies and economies to limit temperature rise to 1.5°C.
We call upon the new European Parliament, the new European Commission and all EU Member State governments to:
1. Commit to accelerate actions to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 2030 and reach net zero emissions as soon as possible.
2. Plan the end of the use of fossil fuels and provide strong support to energy efficiency, renewable energy and emission cuts outside the energy sector.
3. Safeguard a just and fair transition and ensure that the EU increases its support to developing countries to mitigate and adapt to climate change.
4. Increase efforts to roll out the circular economy and increase resource efficiency.
5. Recognise biodiversity protection and ecosystem restoration as a crucial component of climate action.