Shortcuts on this page
Job category: Full-time
Job location: Brussels, Belgium
Expiration date: 04.02.2021
Bellona Europa is looking to recruit a Policy Advisor who will be our renewable electricity deployment expert with a focus on industry. Your role will be to support our EU policy work on renewable electricity, its derivative energy carriers and their role in decarbonising heavy industries, such as steel, cement and chemicals.
Who we are:
The Bellona Foundation is an independent non-profit organisation that aims to meet and fight the climate challenges, through identifying and implementing sustainable environmental solutions. Founded in 1986 as a direct-action protest group, we have become a recognised solution-oriented organisation with offices in Oslo, Brussels, and Russia, and activities across other countries, including Germany, the Netherlands, Central-Eastern Europe, the USA and the UK. Altogether, some 60 engineers, ecologists, nuclear physicists, economists, lawyers, political scientists and journalists work at Bellona. We are engaged in a broad spectrum of current national and international environmental questions and issues around the world.
Renewable electricity generation will play a crucial role in decarbonising various sectors. Extensive deployment of additional renewable electricity sources will be required to decarbonise Europe’s heavy industry. To help us map out the role renewables will have in industrial decarbonisation, we are looking to recruit a Policy Advisor to support our EU policy work on the decarbonisation of heavy industry, alternative fuels and the Renewable Energy Directive.
- Monitor relevant legislative and political developments in the EU, UK and EEA, particularly related to alternative fuels and the use of renewable electricity in decarbonising heavy industry
- Draft publications, articles, consultation responses
- Represent Bellona in meetings, conferences, working groups and events
- Providing substantive support to the organisation of conferences and events;
- Advocacy on the revision of the Renewable Energy Directive (i.e. on RES shares in heavy industry, hydrogen and renewable fuels of non-biological origin, recycled carbon fuels etc.)
- Work on relevant delegated acts of the Renewable Energy Directive and keeping contact with relevant stakeholders (i.e. DG ENER, the Joint Research Centre etc.)
Expected skills and requirements:
- A relevant master’s degree (i.e., in Environmental Science, Industrial Engineering or similar)
- Excellent spoken and written English
- 2-3 years of work experience
- Familiarity with renewables and data related to energy generation and use
- Knowledge of policy and regulatory frameworks in the EU and member states relating to climate change, industry and energy
- Awareness and understanding of various technologies and processes relating to industrial decarbonisation
- Demonstrable commitment to the values and organisational goals of Bellona and the wider environmental movement
- Demonstrable ability to engage with stakeholders and institutions of the EU
- Knowledge of another relevant European language
- Experience with Lifecycle Assessments and methodologies for assessing climate impact of energy products such as fuels
We are able to offer a competitive remuneration on an initial 1 year contract with the possibility of extension and/or full-time employment. Starting date is as soon as possible.
If you wish to apply, please send:
– a CV (maximum two pages)
– a cover letter (maximum one page) outlining your motivation for the position.
Please send the documents to Ana Serdoner firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating ‘Bellona application’ in the subject line, by Thursday February 4, 2021 EOD at the latest. Please also indicate where you found our vacancy