Bellona internship opening – Policy Assistant, CCS & Sustainable Finance
Job category: Full-time
Job location: Brussels
Expiration date: 14.11.2021
Are you interested in working at the intersection of climate technologies, policy and project management? Are you motivated to promote the deployment of climate solutions in Europe? Do you want to work with passionate colleagues on meaningful projects? You might be just the person we are looking for!
Bellona Europa is looking to recruit a highly motivated, talented and passionate Policy and Project Assistant to support our EU policy work on Industrial decarbonisation with a particular focus on CCS and sustainable finance.
Who we are: The Bellona Foundation is an independent non-profit organisation that aims to meet and fight the climate challenges, through identifying and implementing sustainable environmental solutions. Founded in 1986 as a direct action protest group, we have become a recognised technology and solution-oriented organisation with offices in Oslo, Brussels, Berlin, UK and Russia, and activities across countries, including the Netherlands, Belgium, Central-Eastern Europe and the USA. Altogether, some 60 engineers, ecologists, nuclear physicists, economists, lawyers, political scientists and journalists work at Bellona. We work towards reaching a greater ecological understanding, protection of nature, the environment and health. We are engaged in a broad spectrum of current national and international environmental questions and issues around the world.
Description: Bellona is looking to recruit a Policy Assistant to support our EU Policy work, in particular on the topics of CCS and Sustainable Finance. The position will also include assisting on project execution, management and communication as well as event coordination and planning.
- Analyse potential climate solutions and their climate impact
- Monitor relevant legislative and political developments in the EU
- Support the team’s communication and engagement activities in Brussels and abroad
- Contribute to and help develop campaigns
- Help organize and execute events and conferences
- Draft articles and contribute to publications
- Represent Bellona in meetings, conferences and events, prepare meeting notes, write minutes
Expected skills and requirements:
- A relevant master’s degree (e.g., in Environmental Science, Earth and Climate System Science, Sustainable Development, Environmental Governance, Economics or similar)
- Excellent spoken and written English and another relevant European language
- Awareness and understanding of EU policy processes and/or of various technologies and processes relating to industrial decarbonisation
- Demonstrable commitment to the values and organisational goals of Bellona and the wider environmental movement
- A true team player, able to multitask and prioritize
- Ability and willingness to travel internationally, as required (COVID permitting)
- Eligible to reside and work in Belgium
- Good understanding of climate science and the climate system, and/or the field of sustainable finance
- Demonstrable ability to engage with stakeholders and institutions of the EU
- Good knowledge of policy and regulatory frameworks in the relevant countries (knowledge of Central and Eastern European countries in particular) relating to climate change
- Knowledge of one of the Central European languages is a plus
We offer a paid internship on an initial 6-month contract (Belgian CIP), with the possibility of extension; starting as soon as possible. Please specify your preferred start date.
Bellona promotes a multicultural, flexible, inclusive and collaborative work environment.
How to apply?
Please send us your application respecting the following instructions: One PDF document including both your cover letter (1 page max, outlining your motivation for the position) and your CV (2 pages max). Your PDF file should be named as follows: familyname_name.pdf. Please send your application by email to to Lina Nagell Lina@bellona.org, indicating ‘Bellona internship application CCS & Sustainable Finance’ in the subject line, by 14 November 2021, 17:00 CET at the latest. We strongly recommend sending application as soon as possible however, as we reserve the right to take a recruitment decision earlier. Please also indicate where you found our vacancy.
We warmly thank you in advance for your application, your time and your interest in this internship position. Kindly note only short-listed candidates will be contacted due to the large amount of applications we expect. If you receive no feedback by the end of November, please consider you have not been selected.