Job category: Full-time
Job location: Brussels
Expiration date: 4 December 2022 (Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis)
As an organisation, Bellona has always been at the forefront of environmental innovation and industrial decarbonisation. Being a group of evidence-based environmentalists, our goal is to implement new, more sustainable actions, which can effectively reduce CO2 emissions and that are implementable today. We advocate for pragmatic approaches that deliver the greatest impact, today and tomorrow, while not shying away from addressing contentious issues. We endeavour to cooperate with all stakeholders, but also act as a watchdog against greenwashing. From our Oslo and Brussels offices, we have been advocating transformative climate action in industry for decades.
About the job
The work in the CEE/Baltic region will build on our experience, which includes past contributions to the development of CCS projects such as Northern Lights, Athos and Porthos. It will also use existing/prospective networks to identify the role to be played in climate change mitigation by ports, waterways, and industrial hubs in the CEE/Baltic region, including by deploying CO2 transport infrastructure for Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS).
An event series is to be organised, creating alliances with selected industry, infrastructure/shipping operators, and civil society organisations. This will serve as support for the implementation of proposed policy recommendations in EU legislation and funding schemes, to ensure the recognition of the role of ports and hubs in the transition and facilitate that change. Bellona will work with regional actors, supporting their efforts to access funding mechanisms established by the EU (e.g. Innovation Fund, Connecting Europe Facility/Projects of Common Interest) and national governments.
We are looking for a motivated, experienced and communicative professional in climate policy and sustainability to expand Bellona’s operations in the CEE/Baltic region (with a focus on Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, and Poland). The ideal candidate will have:
- At least 3-6 years relevant experience in policy/advocacy in the field of climate technologies, industrial decarbonisation, transport or energy infrastructure projects.
- Good knowledge of public affairs, with a focus on EU institutions and the political landscape in the CEE/Baltic region.
- Experience in analysing EU and national-level climate and environmental policy, ideally regulations related to industry and transport infrastructure.
- Project management and interpersonal skills experience, with strong networking and communication skills, and an interest to work in an inter-cultural environment.
- Fluency in English. Knowledge of one (or more) language/s of the CEE/Baltic region is a plus.
- Eligibility to work and reside in Belgium.
- Willingness and ability to travel occasionally.
There is no specific degree requirement. As the work is highly interdisciplinary, the best candidate could hold a degree in political science, law, business, engineering/science or transport/logistics. However, a proven record or willingness to deep dive into relevant technical, as well as regulatory, political and business issues is essential.
Help us shape Bellona’s short, medium and long-term strategy to promote and accelerate industrial decarbonisation in the CEE/Baltic region, focusing on the role of ports as industrial hubs.
- Manage day-to-day policy and stakeholder engagement in the CEE/Baltic region.
- Contribute to capacity building and empowerment within civil society organisations in CEE/Baltic region regarding decarbonisation.
- Manage the day-to-day of Bellona’s engagements in the CEE/Baltic region, while coordinating with both the EU policy team and relevant colleagues in Oslo and other Bellona offices.
- Support the EU policy team in developing positions to affect climate policy processes at EU level from the perspective of the CEE/Baltic region.
- Track, analyse, evaluate and shape Bellona’s position on relevant climate and industrial policy developments in the CEE/Baltic region.
- Help expand Bellona’s network and profile in the CEE/Baltic region by building strong relationships with policy-makers, government officials, company representatives and other relevant stakeholders.
We offer a full-time position based in Brussels with a competitive NGO salary on an initial one-year contract (Belgian employment agreement) with the expectation of extension, starting as soon as possible. A possibility to be based in EE-LV-LT-PL with a freelance contract could be considered, but this would not be our preferred option. Bellona promotes a multicultural, flexible, inclusive and collaborative work environment.
How to apply? Please send us one PDF document including both your cover letter (1 page max) and your CV (2 pages max). Your PDF file should be named as follows: familyname_name.pdf. Please send your application by email to our HR mailbox email@example.com to the attention of Mr Michal Wendolowski (Senior Manager, Climate Technology & Policy, CEE), indicating ‘Bellona CEE/Baltic application’ in the subject line, by 4 December 2022 at 18h00 CET at the latest. Note: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Kindly indicate where you found our vacancy.
About us: Bellona Europa is an independent, non-profit organisation that meets environmental and climate challenges head on. We are solutions-oriented and have a comprehensive and cross-sectoral approach to assess the economics, climate impacts and technical feasibility of necessary climate actions. To do this, we work with civil society, academia, governments, institutions and industries.