Job category: Full time (38h/week), fixed-term
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Start Date: Mid-January 2024
Duration: 6 months
Deadline to apply: 1 December 2023 at 18h000 CET
As an organisation, Bellona has always been at the forefront of environmental innovation and industrial decarbonisation. Being a group of evidence-based environmentalists, our goal is to implement new, more sustainable actions, which can effectively reduce CO2 emissions and that are implementable today. We advocate for pragmatic approaches that deliver the greatest impact, today and tomorrow, while not shying away from addressing contentious issues. We endeavour to cooperate with all stakeholders, but also act as a watch dog against greenwashing.
About the job
For our Brussels office, we are seeking a professional who is eager to gain hands-on experience in policy analysis and development, with a focus on the buildings sector and procurement. As a policy assistant, you will be an integral part of our team and work closely with our experts. You will be working closely and aligning with the Embodied Carbon Policy Advisor.
- Assist in the monitoring of policy initiatives related to the buildings sector and public procurement, e.g. going through policy proposals, drafting amendments etc.
- Conduct research, evaluate data, and stay informed about the latest developments and trends in EU buildings and public procurement policy to support policy recommendations.
- Support collaboration with legislative bodies (at EU level and in relevant Member States, nationally and locally), other NGOs, and industry stakeholders to contribute to sustainable policies and advocacy efforts.
- Support in the preparation and delivery of presentations, reports, and policy briefings for diverse audiences, including policymakers, partners, and the public.
- Assisting with the organisation of workshops, events, conferences or webinars related to the built environment.
- Support in the preparation and delivery of presentations, reports, and policy briefings for diverse audiences, including policymakers, partners, and the public and develop communication material for social media.
- Participate in representing Bellona Europa at relevant conferences, workshops, and events, sharing insights and expanding networks.
- Contribute to the organisation’s overall mission by actively participating in other initiatives and projects as required.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Some relevant experience in policy/advocacy, with a particular a focus on sustainability and climate change mitigation
- Understanding of the policy-making process at EU and national levels. Knowledge of regulations, policies, and frameworks related to the buildings sector and/or procurement is a plus.
- Recently graduated with a master’s or bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (e.g., Environmental Policy, Public Policy, Sustainability, Politics, Law, Engineering).
- Strong interest in policy development and advocacy, with a desire to learn and grow in these areas.
- Experience conducting research and with critical thinking
- Strong networking and communication skills, and an interest to work in a multicultural environment.
- Fluency in English. Knowledge of Norwegian or another Scandinavian language is a plus.
- Ability to work proactively and collaboratively within a team.
- Eligibility to work and reside in Belgium.
- Willingness and ability to travel occasionally.
What We Offer:
- An initial 6-month Belgian CIP contract (with a possibility for an employment contract at the end of the traineeship)
- About 1300 EUR net per month in total, including meal vouchers & a homework allowance. Trainees are not taxed. Bellona covers the phone calls & commuting tickets from home to the office. We also offer extra-legal holidays.
- An opportunity to gain hands-on experience and contribute to environmental policy in Europe.
- Exposure to influential stakeholders and the chance to be part of meaningful initiatives.
- A collaborative working environment with an inclusive team of passionate people. The chance to work on meaningful projects and make a difference.
How to Apply
Please send us your application respecting the following instructions: One PDF document including both your cover letter (1 page max) and your CV (2 pages max). Your PDF file should be named as follows: familyname_name.pdf. Please send your application by email to our HR mailbox firstname.lastname@example.org for the attention of Ms. Marika Andersen, Senior Manager, indicating ‘Policy Assistant vacancy’ in the subject line, by 1 December 2023 at 18h00 CET at the latest. Kindly indicate where you found our vacancy.
About Bellona Europa: Bellona Europa is an independent, non-profit organisation that meets environmental and climate challenges head on. We are solutions-oriented and have a comprehensive and cross-sectoral approach to assess the economics, climate impacts and technical feasibility of necessary climate actions. To do this, we work with civil society, academia, governments, institutions, and industries.