Bellona Europa – Policy Advisor, Electricity Grids
Job category: Full-time
Job location: Brussels, Belgium (hybrid)
Expiration date: 21.03.2023
Bellona Europa is looking to recruit a Policy Advisor who will be our electricity grids and market expert with a focus on transitioning from the current fossil-based electricity grid and markets to a renewable-based one, in order to provide the resources needed for the deep decarbonisation of several sectors. Your role will be to support our EU policy work on the Electricity Market Design as well as advocate for grids infrastructure deployment. The work will be based on two main pillars: deployment of a fit-for-purpose electricity grid and the development of an electricity market that can integrate and incentivise a growing penetration of renewable energy sources.
Who we are:
Bellona Europa is an independent, non-profit organisation that meets environmental and climate challenges head on. We are solutions-oriented and have a comprehensive and cross-sectoral approach to assess the economics, climate impacts and technical feasibility of necessary climate actions. To do this, we work with civil society, academia, governments, institutions, and industries.
Founded in 1986 as a direct-action protest group, we have become a recognised solution-oriented organisation with offices in Oslo, Brussels, Berlin, and Vilnius and activities across other countries, including the Netherlands, Central-Eastern Europe, the USA and the UK.
The organisation combines the expertise of engineers, ecologists, nuclear physicists, economists, lawyers, political scientists and journalists. We are engaged in a broad spectrum of current national and international environmental questions and issues around the world.
Renewable electricity generation will play a crucial role in decarbonising various sectors. Extensive deployment of additional electricity grids connecting renewable energy sources with consumers will be required to decarbonise Europe’s economy.
To help us advocate for the acceleration of electricity grid infrastructure improvements in Europe and ensure that renewables can be moved from production to consumption points, we are looking to recruit a Policy Advisor to support our EU policy work. The work will focus on the electricity market design revision, as well as grid infrastructure financing and interconnector planning through processes such as the Projects of Common Interests and the Ten-Year Network Development Plan.
- Monitor and analyse relevant legislative and political developments in the EU, particularly related to grid infrastructure deployment, development and financial support for project development
- Monitor and analyse relevant legislative and political developments related to the Electricity Market Design, and contribute to advocacy efforts
- Draft publications, articles, consultation responses
- Represent Bellona in relevant meetings, conferences, working groups and events
- Providing support to the organisation of conferences and events;
- Work on relevant EU and, where needed, national level financial instruments related to renewable electricity use and grid infrastructure development
- Keep contact with relevant stakeholders
- Coordinate with colleagues working in different regions to support their local work with thematic expertise
Expected skills and requirements:
- A relevant master’s degree (i.e., in Environmental Science, Industrial Engineering, Climate Policy or similar) or similar level of knowledge acquired through relevant working experiences
- Excellent spoken and written English
- 2-3 years of work experience
- Familiarity with electricity systems and data related to energy generation, transmission and use
- Knowledge of policy and regulatory frameworks in the EU relating to climate change, industry and energy
- Awareness and understanding of various technologies and processes relating to electricity transmission, smart grids and demand response mechanisms
- Demonstrable commitment to the values and organisational goals of Bellona and the wider environmental movement
- Eligibility to work and reside in Belgium
- Demonstrable ability to engage with stakeholders and institutions of the EU
- Knowledge of another relevant European language (e.g., French, German, Spanish)
- Knowledge of Member States’ energy and climate policy frameworks
- Knowledge of green market mechanisms
- Experience with energy modelling
You can expect a meaningful and engaging experience with an initial one-year Belgian employee agreement, with possibility of extension – starting as soon as possible. We offer a competitive NGO salary package with various employee benefits, training budget, continuous internal learning and growing in the role. Bellona promotes a multicultural, flexible, inclusive and collaborative work environment.
How to apply? Please send us your application respecting the following instructions: One PDF document including both your cover letter (1 page max) and your CV (2 pages max). Your PDF file should be named as follows: familyname_name.pdf. Please send your application by email to email@example.com for the attention of Mrs Ana Šerdoner, Senior Manager Industry & Energy Systems, indicating ‘Policy Advisor vacancy’ in the subject line, by 21 March 2023 at 18h00 CET at the latest. Kindly indicate where you found our vacancy.